matt makes stuff

log RSS/XML feed About 

A Couple New Comic Packages

July 22, 2018

Added the full archive of Minus by Ryan Armand and Opplopolis by Kit Roebuck to the comic packages section of the Mr. Teal page. Also added the ability to paste alt text, which made the process of collecting all the blog posts for Opplopolis go a lot faster. I’m debating whether I should give the user a warning when they change or delete alt text. I think anyone using the program to rapidly add alt text to a group of images would find it more annoying than useful. Maybe I could give the user a warning once up front that changes are permanent, and they should make sure they have a backup of everything before they start tinkering.

I also noticed a bug where pressing “A” while alt text is displayed isn’t hiding it anymore. Not sure what’s going on with that. Probably a pretty easy fix, so hopefully I’ll get that taken care of and push a commit this weekend. Still not quite ready to call it 2.0, but it’s getting there.

I need to figure out how to get the program to recognize natural numbering. I wanted to just link directly to the Minus zip file on archive.org but the comics are named in a way that when the file list is generated, it orders them 1.jpg, 10.jpg, 100.jpg, 2.jpg, etc. Pretty simple matter to batch rename them, but I’d like to build that functionality in. No idea how I’d go about doing that, though. I’d also like the ability to add new lines to the alt text. Some of the blog posts for Opplopolis end up sounding kind of awkward because I can’t break them into paragraphs like they were originally posted. I tried to separate the sentences with a slash where the transition was especially weird-sounding, but I’d like to not have to worry about it. No idea how I would do this either. Should be interesting problems to try to solve, though.

The last feature I’d like to add is a hot key to open a URL located in the alt text in a web browser. That one should be pretty simple, when the user presses a key it’s just a matter of searching the text for http, and reading it until it encounters a space. You could only do one URL per alt text this way, but that should be all you need. Don’t want to over-scope it.

That’ll come later, though. I think this weekend I’ll fix the alt text bug and implement the chapter menu I’ve been meaning to. I have a pretty good idea of how to do that.


back to log index | homepage